Monday, April 16, 2007

Sunday Night Baseball

Every Sunday we can, Erik and myself both try to make it out to the bar to watch Sunday Night ball - Erik to Williams' in Minneapolis, and myself usually to Mac's in Cincinnati. It provides a nice break for myself from a rough week of schoolwork, and it gives Erik a chance to enjoy $1 burgers and prepare for working his three jobs the next day. I'm not sure how long ESPN has been doing this great tradition, but I know that Jon Miller and Joe Morgan have been an important part of my life for as long as I can remember, and they, along with Peter Gammons, are the greatest baseball television announcers out there. Yeah that's right, I said it - Joe Buck and Tim McCarver, you're both horrible. The best part of tuning in at 8 ET every Sunday is seeing what kind of crazy suit and tie Morgan has on, and how out-of-control Miller's hair is.

Erik and I will be the first to tell you that matinee baseball is where it's at, but there's just something about Sunday Night Baseball that makes it special. Just knowing that you can watch two of the finest teams in baseball (usually the Red Sox and/or Yankees are televised, but that's okay) every week at the same time is pretty outstanding. Our trip's very first game is a Sunday Nighter - Cubs @ White Sox on June 24th - and I can't wait. Although these are our 29th and 30th favorite teams respectively, the fact that we get to kick off the tour at a nationally televised interleague rivalry game is really cool.

Erik and myself will be missing Sunday Night ball this weekend because we'll be at home in Milwaukee this weekend watching the Crew stomp on the Astros. However, hey bartender and random girl I met yesterday who also watches Sunday Night Baseball (I love you!) - please have a barstool, a plate of greasy cheese waffle fries, and a Strongbow waiting for me every Sunday there after.

And PS - Happy Patriot's Day! Yet another great baseball holiday.

No comments: