Monday, September 4, 2023

Northwoods League Launches Women's Softball League

(image courtesy of northwoodsleague.com)

The Northwoods League has never been a league that rests on its laurels, and has set its sights on becoming North America's premier summer collegiate league since its inception.  It has now spread its footprint to 24 teams across 7 states and 2 countries and a 72-game schedule, and it has shown no signs of slowing down its expansion.  Having just wrapped its 30th season, not even the baseball world is enough and now is attempting to conquer the softball world as well.  The league announced this summer that it will be starting a women's softball component in 2024.  It would be the same type of summer collegiate structure as the baseball league in which female college athletes with at least one year of athletic eligibility remaining will be able to play.  Teams have yet to be announced, but it is expected that the inaugural year will feature a 40-game schedule with host cities within the existing NWL Baseball footprint.  I think it's a pretty safe bet that Rosemont, IL will feature a team as they have one of the premier softball complexes in the Midwest next door to the Chicago Dogs stadium on I-294, which is no longer in use since the National Pro Fastpitch league folded in 2021, and I would guess that every current Northwoods League city that has a major university with a softball program will likely be in consideration for a team - Madison, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, St. Cloud, Green Bay, etc.  I would also guess it's going to be 6 teams max to start.  These are all just speculations, but regardless, I am very excited for this and I would totally go watch a game.  I had been wanting to get to a Chicago Bandits game ever since I went to see the Dogs play in 2018, but then the pandemic started and the league folded, so it obviously never happened.  I would be excited to watch a live softball game for the first time, as I am perhaps even more amazed by watching somebody throw a giant ball 75mph underhand as I am watching somebody throw a ball 100mph overhand.

As an aside, Green Bay defeated St. Cloud to win the first ever championship for the Green Bay franchise.  I could not help but find myself rooting for the Rox as I watched the game since I cannot wait to become a season ticket holder next season following our move to the area.

STANDINGS AND UPCOMING SERIES AS OF 9/4/23
Brewers 76-61, +2.5; 3 @ Pirates, 3 @ Yankees
Twins 72-66, +6.0; 3 @ Guardians, 3 v. Mets

2023 GAMES ATTENDED:
Erik - 3
Peter - 18

No comments: