Monday, July 9, 2018

The Best Baseball Movies of All Time


I know that I'm coming into the game late, but I've been really into podcasts lately.  Not surprisingly, all of the ones I follow regularly are either about baseball or drinking.  I was listening to an episode of the ESPN Baseball Tonight podcast a few weeks ago and there was a heated debate among the hosts and guests about what was the greatest baseball movie of all time.  It made me daydream all day at work how I would rank my movies, and it also made me realize that after over a decade of writing this blog, that this has somehow not been a topic yet.  And so, without further adieu, I bring you my Top 10 Baseball Movies of All Time (and be sure to check back in next week because I'm sure I will change this list).

Disclaimer: I am ashamed to admit that I have never seen Field of Dreams, Bad News Bears, Eight Men Out, Bang the Drum Slowly, or The Pride of the Yankees in their entirety.  Just in case you are wondering why those did not make the cut.  I am also excluding documentaries, so no Ken Burns.

10.  Little Big League
Probably one that doesn't make a lot of people's lists, but I can't help but have a soft spot for a movie shot in the old Metrodome.

9.  Bull Durham
I'm putting this on my list simply for name recognition, but to be honest I've only seen it a couple of times so I don't fully appreciate it yet as probably many others do.  A very popular movie among ballplayers for its accuracy in depicting the minor leagues.

8.  Moneyball
Who doesn't want to root for the A's and Billy Beane?

7.  42
I thought Harrison Ford as Branch Rickey was somewhat of a caricature, but it was enjoyable.

6.  Mr. Baseball
Easily one of the most underrated baseball movies.

5.  Major League 2
The plot is weak, but this makes the list just for Bob Uecker's performance alone.  He's even better in this one than the original.

4.  61*
Mickey Mantle has always fascinated me and is one of my favorite "old" players.

3.  The Natural
An excellent book as well.  Somehow over-the-top but believable at the same time.

2.  A League of Their Own
My top two movies are the ones that I will always watch whenever they are on TV, even if it's just 10 minutes.  Tom Hanks as Jimmy Dugan is probably my favorite baseball movie character of all time.

1.  Major League
Not even close.  I know this movie almost by heart and yet I still laugh every time.  The most quotable baseball movie of all time.

Just missed the cut:  The Sandlot
It was really hard to leave this off of the list, but in the end I've just never loved this movie as much as other people seem to.

Honorable Mention:  The Bronx is Burning
This is technically a mini-series based on a book that chronicles 1977 New York, so I did not include it in my movie list, but definitely worth a watch.

UPDATE:  Erik and I leave on our annual ball trip this week!  Stay tuned for reviews of our adventure.

STANDINGS AND UPCOMING SERIES AS OF 07.09:
Brewers 54-36, +1.5 (3 @ Marlins, 5 @ Pirates)
Reds 39-51, -15.0 (3 @ Indians, 3 @ Cardinals)
Twins 39-48, -9.5 (3 v. Royals, 4 v. Rays)

2018 GAMES ATTENDED:
Erik - 4 (+11 worked)
Peter - 12

No comments: